Mr. Khue was not always in the dried meat business. In fact, the enterprising Mr. Khue started off making kaya (coconut jam), and Lo Hon Ko, a popular beverage among the Chinese community, as far back as the early 1960s.
In the early 1970s, he successfully ventured into making orange juice and branded it Mo Dik Sin (Super Fresh). It was such a hit that a Taiwanese gentleman used to visit Mr. Khue to buy the orange juice whenever he was in Kuala Lumpur.
As the story goes, the Taiwanese gentleman used to come to Mr. Khue’s shop, shouting, “O Loi Ya, O Loi Ya.” (”Here I Come, here I come.”).
The two gentlemen became friends over the years and exchanged recipes. Mr. Khue taught him the secret to making great orange juice, and the Taiwanese gentleman taught Mr. Khue his family’s recipe for dried meat.
Always the entrepreneur, Mr. Khue started perfecting the dried meat recipe at home, with the help of his wife. Once they were satisfied with the taste and texture, they decided to sell it and named the dried meat Oloiya (Here I Come).
Life wasn’t easy for the husband and wife team in the beginning. They underwent financial difficulties and spent their days and nights making the products by hand because they couldn’t afford to employ staff or invest in the processing machines available then. However, they persevered until the business picked up.
OLOIYA’s FIRST STALL
- Mr. Khue Chow Kong and Mdm. Chin Keon Yock founded a company to sell dried meat with the Oloiya brand in Petaling Street.
- Q-Q Food Industry Pte Ltd was founded as a designated production arm for its retail counterpart, later known as Q-Q Food Retail Pte Ltd.
MR. KHUE’S VISION
- Mr. Khue Chow Kong revolutionised the industry in Malaysia through radio advertisements, successfully positioning dried meat as a premium Chinese New Year gift.
KING OF DRIED MEAT
- The flourishing business was officially handed over to the second generation of the Khue brothers, Mr. Khue Jau Horng and Mr. Khue Jau Sam after the passing of Mr. Khue Chow Kong
- The business grew rapidly to an astounding network of 600 distribution points within years.
FIRST DRIED MEAT
BRAND TO SEMI-AUTOMATE
- The manufacturing process was semi-automated in order to cope with increasing demand.
- Reinvestments into new technologies were made to improve product consistency and quality.
OLOIYA’S FIRST RETAIL IN
- In order to improve hygiene and quality control, roadside stalls were transitioned into shop lots and shopping malls.
2007 – 2011
FIRST DRIED MEAT BRAND
TO RECEIVE INTERNATIONAL
- Q-Q Food Industry Pte Ltd received the Independent European Certification.
- Q-Q Food Industry Pte Ltd acquired the VHM Accreditation from the Department of Veterinary Services (DVS) Malaysia.
- Q-Q Food Industry Pte Ltd acquired HACCP, MeSTI and GMP certification from the Ministry of Health (MOH) Malaysia, and ISO 22000:2005 from Llyod’s Register.
- Q-Q Food Retail Pte Ltd acquired the ISO 9001:2008 certification by TUV Nord.
RAYMOND & PETER KHUE
- The third generation of the Khue brothers, Mr. Raymond Khue and Mr. Peter Khue, joined the top management to streamline and restructure the business.
KHUE BROTHERS HOLDINGS
- Khue Brothers Holdings Pte Ltd was established.
- Oloiya established online presence via social media platforms and e-commerce.
MALAYSIAN BRAND AWARD
- Oloiya was presented with the Inaugural Malaysian Brand Award for the Food sector.
- This event was organised by Federation of Malaysia Chinese Guilds Association (FEMACGA) and recognised by the Prime Minister’s Department, Finance Ministry, International Trade and Industry Ministry and Secretariat for the Advancement of Malaysian Entrepreneurs (SAME).